Mercury is the most toxic, non-radioactive element on the earth. Published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. Mercury accumulates in the body with long term low level exposure. NO amount of exposure to mercury can be considered harmless.
We follow IAOMT’s SMART (Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique) technique when removing amalgam fillings.
The patient is given a slurry of charcoal, chlorella, or similar adsorbent to rinse and swallow before the procedure. Protective gowns and covers for the dentist, dental personnel, and the patient are worn during the procedure. Face shields and hair/head coverings are worn by the patient, dentist and all dental personnel in the room. External air or oxygen delivered via a nasal mask for the patient is utilized to assure the patient does not inhale any mercury vapor or amalgam particulate. A dental dam is placed and properly sealed in the patient’s mouth. During amalgam filling removal, a extra external suction device is used in close proximity to the operating field to mitigate mercury exposure. Once the removal process is complete, the patient’s mouth is thoroughly flushed with water and then rinsed out with a slurry of charcoal, chlorella or similar adsorbent.
IAOMT does not recommend amalgam filling removal for women who are pregnant or breast-feeding and that the IAOMT does not recommend that dental personnel who are pregnant or breast-feeding conduct work that disrupts amalgam fillings (including their removal).
Mercury Facts : https://iaomt.org/resources/dental-mercury-facts/
**Pictures of amalgam removal set up**